[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: External card connected to USRP board

From: Diana Iosifescu
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: External card connected to USRP board
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 18:40:32 +0200

Sure. Are you sure you can't hook your UHF board up to a basic tx or
rx at least for prototyping? What's your gadget's IF?

In fact what I need is to convert 2 CW coherent signals (beacon)IF in
UHF range (somewhere between 0.5 to 1GHz , through a very good phase
noise LO, depending on front end) to a new IF at 10.7 IF (it will be
crystal filtered and then routed by coaxial cable to basic RX card or
perhaps directly to motherboard).

If you're sure you need a new board, take a look at the schematics for
some of the other daugtherboards. http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/USRP

%*********************************************************
Thats the problem. They are wide bandwidth cards and in my application
the signal has only 52dBHz CNR at best and signal power is contained
completely in a 50Hz bandwidth (so narrow bandwidth is at premium). That
is noise power would overload ADC's and limit dynamic range. Also I am
interested in measuring the amplitude and relative phases (so no AGC at
all and other stuffs that can impair relative phases).
%***********************************************************

The ROM id's the card to the system. You need it. It costs about
$0.50.

Thanks. I know it's a cheap component. Just wondering for the increased
complexity (mainly side effects!!). Please give me some clues (pointer
to information) to know what should be written in the ROM and
consequences in the devices programing.

Thank very much for answering my questions,
Diana