Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cell BE

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cell BE
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 10:53:37 -0700

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 07:45:11AM -0400, Charles Swiger wrote:
> On 17.11.2006 19:45 Eric Blossom wrote:
>
> > Re: PS3/Cell BE platform
> >
> > Sounds like fun.
> > And yes, I think we could get the HDTV receiver running in real time ;)
> >
> > Eric

Hi Chuck,

Great to hear from you!

> In light of the experience gained since then, is that still a
> reasonably attainable goal?

Definitely.  The gcell SPE offload mechanism is pretty much done.
I'm now starting on a multicore-aware scheduler that should be done in
the next 4 weeks or so.

> The only thing stopping me from jumping on a ps3 is the smallish
> amount of memory (192MB) to work with but I'm perfectly happy w/o
> X-Windows ;)

I cross-compile from an x86-64 box.  We've got that pretty well sorted
out.  The 256MB is plenty to run GNU Radio, just not enough to compile
it at any reasonable speed.

  http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/CrossCompilingForCell

I'm running Fedora 8 on the PS3 and the build machine.

If you get a PS3, I suggest you buy a 7200 RPM SATA laptop drive for
it.  That will help things out too.  It's easy to swap out the existing one.

Eric