Re: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] power control when packets transmitting

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] power control when packets transmitting
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 09:42:52 -0700

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 03:54:55PM -0400, Kuo-Chun Huang wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have a question about the transmit amplitude. In the example file
> "transmit_path.py", the amplitude is range from 0 to 32768. But what
> does these number mean?

They serve as a constant multiplier of the signal.  They are not
directly tied to a calibrated power level.  As part of the work on the
USRP2, there has been some discussion of a normalized power level /
signal level going to/from the USRP2, measured at some not yet
determined reference point in the system.  There would need to be a
framework that knew about the various daughterboards, etc.

> Also, when the other GNUradio nodes receive the packet, how do I
> measure the receive power or the relative receiving amplitude?

There are several ways you could do this.  Average magnitude squared is one way.

Eric