Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] tracing a connection stack

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] tracing a connection stack
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 12:03:58 -0700

Brett L. Trotter wrote:

>> Thanks!  FYI, I opened it as ticket:245
>>
>> Eric
>>
> Most excellent. Thank you for the reply and the solution. Just debugging
> some code and I think it's just omission, but wanted to see if there's
> something connected higher up- it seemed being able to see what all was
> hooked up would be handy.
> Cheers and thanks!

The latest trunk now has an added method to gr.top_block, dump(), that
will dump the runtime flattened flowgraph and connectivity.  However, it
is only valid after calling start() on the top block, as that is when
the hierarchy gets flattened and pruned, to be passed to the scheduler.
 In other words, you can replace:

tb.run()

...with:

tb.start()  # Results in the hierarchy being flattened and pruned
tb.dump()   # Dumps the flattened flowgraph to stdout
tb.wait()   # Continues with the rest of what run() would have done

What would be better of course is a dump method that would show the
hierarchy, etc., as noted in Trac ticket #245.