Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gsm gmsk demodulation

From: Ben Wojtowicz
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gsm gmsk demodulation
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:41:04 -0500

I agree with Bob, most gsm demodulators I have seen use a viterbi equalizer (sometimes called MLSE equalization).

Ben

On 6/6/08, Bob McGwier <address@hidden> wrote:
This is not my professional experience.  The sounding data is used to find the channel and then the data symbols are soft detected through a "viterbi equalizer" in every implementation I am aware of that is any good at all with the exception of one I wrote several years ago which estimates the data given the channel and then restimates the channel and then the data and then the channel and then the data, etc.  MMSE and not MLE is the goal and this was a suboptimal implementation of the EM algorithm.  It was suboptimal since it did not estimate the data bauds using ALL observations but only those between sounding data.  Further,  assumptions that the conditional distributions of the data given the observations could be described in 1st and 2nd product moments (not Gaussian but having similar properties).  This has been published by many.  The computational complexity is on a par with the viterbi equalizer and it outperforms it.

Most of the cell phones I know use the Viterbi equalizer.

Bob