Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] help with "safe" and "clean" band

From: Martin Dvh
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] help with "safe" and "clean" band
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:51:24 +0200

Mihail L. Sichitiu wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm brand new at this GNU Radio thing, so please forgive me if my question
> has a "well-known" answer. I'd like to try out some performance tests on a
> few modulation schemes, so I need a clean band for these tests. Obviously
> the 2.4GHz ISM band is full of interference, and I assume that this goes
> for all the other ISM bands, right?
>
> If this is the case, is there a well-known relatively quiet band where I
> can run these tests without interfering with anything important, without
> being interfered with, and without getting in trouble with FCC?
The easiest thing to do would be not doing your tests wireless.
Connect TX twith coax to  an attenuator and connect that to the RX side with
coax.
That is about as clean as you can get, and you won't interfere with anyone on
any band.

Make sure you use enough attenuation. The RFX2400 TX side has much more power
at its output then the RX side can handle.
You will blow up your daughterboards if you don't have at least 30 dB
attenuation.

The best attenuators I found for high frequencies are the SMA inline types
You can mount them directly at the TX output and connect a SMA-SMA coax to the
RX side of a second RFX2400.

Things are much more relaxed with basicRX and basicTX.
basicRX can be connected directly to basicTX without any chance of damage.

I do a lot of my testing with basicRX and basicTX.
The output of basicTX is also very low which is an advantage in this case.

Greetings,
Martin