Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] oprofile callgraph question

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] oprofile callgraph question
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:46:02 -0700

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 06:03:51PM -0400, Mikyung Han wrote:
> Thanks eric,
> Well, yes it will be helpful to have better symbol names,
> but the core problem is doing callgraph.
> Is there a way that I can figure out .loop and .loop2 is called?
>
> How do I know that gr_fit_xxx.cc, gr_fir_filter_xxx.cc calls .loop and
> .loop2?
>
> Thanks!
> Mikie

Uhhh, because I wrote the code and told you ;)

Additional challenges in the code you're looking at are that there are
multiple symbols named .loop and .loop2, and that oprofile's default
report merges them.

To find them, grep in gnuradio-core/src/lib/filter/*.S

You could also use a static analysis tool (grep would work) to find
all the potential callers.  I haven't had any success with oprofile
and the call graph, but I haven't spend more than a few minutes with
it.  If you use the gprof options, you're going to be running
instrumented code.

I'd ask over on the oprofile mailing list.  If you get an answer,
please let us know.

Eric