RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] GPS Receiver Daughter-boards / Antennas

From: Heckler, Gregory W. (GSFC-596.0)
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] GPS Receiver Daughter-boards / Antennas
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:59:20 -0500

GPS Geeks:

I ordered the "Mighty Mouse 3" active GPS antenna. The spec sheet quotes +5dBi gain at zenith and -1dBi at 10 degrees. I ordered the antenna from:

http://www.gpszone.ca/accessories/antennas/mm3.php

The spec sheet is available from the manufacturer at:

http://www.tri-m.com/products/systems/mm.html

I purchased an AC/DC inverter for my car and connected the USRP, a laptop, and the Mighty Mouse 3 antenna and went cruisin'.

My evaluation of the antenna (in Ebayish): A++++ . It works great, was cheap, and works "out of the box" with the USRP. It has a magnet built in the base so you can throw it on your car roof without a worry. If you order it, just be sure to indicate that you require an SMA connector (the type provided with the USRP). When you connect it to the USRP/DBS-RX be sure to bias the line by shorting jumper 101 on the DBS-RX.