Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] fedora 8 packages to exclude

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] fedora 8 packages to exclude
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 15:22:42 -0700

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 06:05:28PM -0400, Charles Swiger wrote:
> Just need a clearification: the gnuradio FC8 installation procedure
>
> http://gnuradio.utah.edu/trac/wiki/PS3FC8Install
>
> says to put
>
> exclude=blas blas-devel oprofile-debuginfo oprofile numactl nuactl-devel
>
> in /etc/yum.conf, but the SDK3.0 installation guide, on p.35 at the
> bottom states to remove any such exclude?  I'm guessing it all means to
> block and remove those guys before installing the sdk, disable the
> fedora repos, then un-exclude and install the sdk? On a previous attempt
> part of the sdk complained about missing one.

Yes.  That's the theory.  In theory the SDK has better code than the
Fedora (and that may have been true in FC7).  I'm not sure that's
still the case.  The numactl* stuff doesn't work on the PS3, so it
doesn't matter.  I haven't looked to see if they're really installing
a cell optimized blas or not.  Last I checked, oprofile on F8 was
better than the SDK at least when running on the QS21 blades (no
hypervisor).  You'll have to see how oprofile works on the PS3.
There's also another ps3 specific performance tool in Geoff's stuff,
though I don't remember what it's called.

Eric