[Discuss-gnuradio] What's wrong with this constellation?

From: masond
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] What's wrong with this constellation?
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 17:30:23 -0500

Howdy list,
My partner and I have been working on getting a QAM demodulator working on the gnuradio; the current patch, with lots of debugging spew still present, is located at http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~masond/gr-qam-patch-rev7.diff .

The current problem: When the constellation 'locks', it looks like the following:
http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~masond/figure3.png
(for qam16)
http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~masond/figure4.png
http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~masond/figure4.png
(for qam8)

The red Xes are the true constellation points, and the black dots are the output of the receiver. The amplitude of the receiver output seems to spray out pretty widely from the constellation point intended. Any ideas what could be causing this amplitude distortion? I've tried increasing the number of stages in the feedforward AGC to 40 or 60 (as many as my receiver can bear without underruns) and it doesn't seem to impact it. The amplitude noise is present with a variety of mus and costas alphas (the ones used in those figures were alpha~.015 and gain-mu~.05-.075). I've also tried with several different --tx-amplitudes to see if it was a matter of some clipping or other artifact to no luck.

I know that for digital radio purposes the constellation doesn't have to be perfect, but rather 'good enough', so I would be inclined to let this go except for point 2: --The receiver frequently cycle-slips, with the longest string of un-slipped packets somewhere in the 2000 range on our USRPs. I think that this is being hurt by the amplitude noise pushing received points into neighboring constellation points and causing the receiver to correct for that.

I'm running out of ideas (I've tried only using the corner points as the patch does, using all points with weighting based on distance, weighting only the costas loop portion, weighting only the m&m timing portion...) and could use some suggestions or obvious things I may have overlooked.

--Mason