[Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio / USRP for Demodulating Multiple NTSC Stream

From: John R.
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio / USRP for Demodulating Multiple NTSC Streams
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 19:20:20 -0500

Hello,

I would like to demodulate multiple NTSC video streams in real time from 2,000 to 2,100 Mhz. Video signals (haven't located audio yet but could do without it) are centered around 12 Mhz apart. Ideally, this would be 8 or so simultaneous streams. I would settle for a single stream with a straightforward way of selecting another frequency. This is for a mobile application.

I have looked at:

1. Dedicated RF to Video demodulation hardware. For 2.4Ghz this is readily available and dirt cheap but I have only been able to find one device in the frequency range I am interested in. That device for 2-2.1Ghz lists for over $1,000 CDN.

2. Use of wide band receivers as front ends to gnuradio. This appears to require IF output and even if I do find a portable radio that has IF it is not clear that to me if that solution will work even for one stream.

3. Use of USRP and gnuradio. This seems to be the best option so far. Current USRP is USB based which will work with my laptop. USRP2 would require purchase of mobile device with gigabit interface.

Is there something else I should look at? Can dedicated 2.4Ghz demodulation hardware be converted to 2-2.1Ghz? Is USRP or USRP2 my best option?

Thanks,

John