[Discuss-gnuradio] The OpenBTS project - an open-source GSM basestation

From: Harvind Samra
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] The OpenBTS project - an open-source GSM basestation using the USRP and VoIP
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 19:42:56 -0700

Hi all,

I wanted to introduce a new open-source project we've created, the
openBTS project.

The Open BTS Project is an effort to construct an open-source Unix
application that uses the USRP to present a GSM air interface ("Um") to
a standard GSM handset and uses the Asterisk software PBX to connect
calls. The combination of the ubiquitous GSM air interface with VoIP
backhaul could form the basis of a new type of cellular network that
could be deployed and operated at substantially lower cost than existing
technologies in greenfields in the developing world.

Please take a look at

http://openbts.sourceforge.net/

We recently took our existing code to Burning Man 2008, and we were able
to successfully operate as a GSM basestation.

We'll be releasing portions of the code and architecture in the next
several weeks, and we're looking to recruit contributors to the project.
Hopefully, with a community effort, we'll have a more robust, elegant
system.  Any questions or comments can be sent address@hidden
or address@hidden

Thanks to the USRP and gnuradio projects and communities for helping us
make this possible!

--- Harvind Samra