Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Adding my blocks to GRC

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Adding my blocks to GRC
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 12:27:22 -0400

Karthik,

Maybe this is relevant, the guide to making hier blocks in grc: http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/GNURadioCompanion#HierarchicalBlocks

But thats not the same as making block wrappers for your own gr blocks. Until I make the guide, this is my advice:

1) Model your blocks after the gnuradio/grc/data/platforms/python/blocks/*.xml

2) Do not bother with the block tree, inside the custom block wrapper add a category tag right after the key tag:

<block>
        <name>My name</name>
        <key>key or unique identifier</key>
        <category>/Misc</category>

The category is just a unix like path. It will organize your block into the block selection window. You can have any level of categories, even make new ones.

3) You do not have to install your custom block wrapper, just copy it to ~/.grc_gnuradio/ directory. GRC will load it at runtime.

-Josh

Karthik Vijayraghavan wrote:
I installed gnuradio from the trunk for using grc which is now bundled
with gnuradio. I am trying to add my own block to the list of blocks
that are available in grc. I saw a list of templates in
gnuradio/grc/data/platforms/python/blocks/ . There are a whole bunch
of block-templates there and I think I will be able to figure out how
to write the xml templates for my own block. In addition to that I saw
gnuradio/grc/data/platforms/python/blocks/block_tree.xml which lists
how the blocks are arranged, so I think I should insert my block there
once I create its template. Is there more to this?

Thanks,
Karthik