Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 firmware build

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 firmware build
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 23:10:36 -0700

Jeff Long wrote:
Generated a new txrx.bin using EDK101 and put it on the SD
card.  Works!  I'm assuming that's the correct app, based on
strings on the provided SD.  BTW, is any of this documented
yet?

Yes, txrx is the correct app to use, and is the one which is on the SD card which I ship out. No, we don't really have this written anywhere. I've been putting stuff on the USRP2 FAQ page on the wiki, but clearly this is a lot which still needs to be documented.

Where do printf's go to?

They go to the serial port on the right side of the USRP2, between the two daughterboards. You would have to connect a TTL-level serial port to it, at 230,400 baud.

Using -Os vs. -O2 shaves off another 500 bytes if you ever
need the space.  Takes txrx.bin from 26028 to 25484 bytes.

I was thinking that -Os would probably be a good thing to try. Having only 32K of RAM can be a bit constraining.

The function __udivdi3 is 1836 bytes long, and is only used
in print_uint64, which is used only in printf_fxpt_freq.
That might be something to get rid of.

Wow, 1836 bytes is a lot.

I'm really glad to have your feedback and bug reports on this. It will definitely help blaze the trail for other users.

Thanks,
Matt