Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] AWAL root raised cosine filter in the GRC trunk?

From: Glenn Richardson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] AWAL root raised cosine filter in the GRC trunk?
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 17:42:30 -0500

Johnathan Corgan wrote:
On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Josh Blum <address@hidden> wrote:

However, I would like to make these convenience blocks for some of the
combinations. Would RRC FIR be useful? Any other suggestions for some
practical combinations?

A rational resampler that used RRC taps would be useful as a transmit
side RRC interpolator.

A common MPSK transmitter chain is to create a symbol stream at a
particular number of samples per symbol (related to your input data),
perform RRC filtering, then resample to meet the rate expected by the
USRP at some particular hardware interpolation rate.

You can economize CPU cycles by merging the RRC and resampling filter
stages, that is, by using properly calculated RRC taps in the place of
the resampler lowpass filter.
Our transmit chain indeed follows this exact pattern. The RRC was/is used to shape the data stream, and then we resampled in a second block.

I would be interested to measure the performance gain by eliminating the extra block(s). (There is a constant gain block as well, to bring the level up to the USRP's expectations.) However, I'm still back working on understanding how all these taps are "properly created". :)