[Discuss-gnuradio] USRP TX/RX - IQ vs Real Sampling

From: dan s
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP TX/RX - IQ vs Real Sampling
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 13:14:32 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I'm using the USRP and LFRX and LFTX daughtercards for an underwater acoustics project.

I am confused on how the IQ (complex) and real sampling works with the USRP (I read a couple of papers and im still lost).  If I wish to use real sampling and I install two LFRX and two LFTX boards can I effectively have 4 simultaneous transmitters and 4 simultaneous receivers (I'm aware of the 16Mhz bandwidth limitation due to USB transfer data rate)?

I know the usrp_rx_cfile.py script saves data in complex form.  For this particular python script and an LFRX board, would the RX-A input correspond to the I portion, and RX-B input to the Q portion?

I'm still not sure what advantages there would be for using IQ sampling for my particular application (I'm only interested in frequencies from DC to 150 kHz). Does anyone know?

Thanks,
Dan