Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: tun/tap OS X for tunneling

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: tun/tap OS X for tunneling
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:25:43 -0800

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Michael Dickens <address@hidden> wrote:

> IMHO it would be unwise for any current GR component to be dependent on
> "tuntaposx", since it's a non-standard addition to the OS (a kernel
> extension, not just a library with headers and related files).

Got it, it's what I figured.

> If this were made into its own component (e.g., "gr-tuntap"), then I'd be
> all for it.  On Darwin, it would require tuntaposx to be installed, which
> shouldn't be difficult to check for.  On other platforms, checking might be
> easier, but all of this would be done during configure via the config/*.m4
> scripts anyway.

Agree.   A short-term version would be a cross-platform object you
could instantiate with an interface name to create and you'd get two
gr.msg_queue's, one each for rx and tx packet data.  It really calls
for either an mblock (which exists), or the message passing extension
to gr-blocks that we've been tossing around.

> My US$.01 (during current economic crisis). - MLD

The joys of fiat currency :)

-Johnathan