[Discuss-gnuradio] USB2 problems with Fedora/USRP

From: Alberto Trentadue
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] USB2 problems with Fedora/USRP
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:55:26 +0100 (CET)

Hello

I've finally assembled the USRP few days ago, after being delayed some months.

The power-on behaviour looks as expected: one led blinks at 3 Hz or so.
The next step is to try out some example, e.g. usrp_benchmark_usb.py or
usrp_wfm_rcv.py.
Whatever the test I try, I can see that blinking led is switched of for a
couple seconds, then it blinks at lower
rate, and another led near to it turns on  (don't remember which is D402 and
D403).

On console, i get this kind of error:

usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message: Connection timed out
usrp: failed to load fpga bitstream
/opt/gnuradio/share/usrp/rev4/std_2rxhb_2tx.rbf
Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./usrp_benchmark_usb.py", line 106, in ?
        main ( )
    File "./usrp_benchmark_usb.py", line 96, in main
        ok=run_test (rate, verbose)
    File "./usrp_benchmark_usb.py", line 63, in run_test
        usrp_tx=usrp.sink_s(0, tx_interp)
    File
"/usr/local/hamradio/gnuradio/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gnuradio/usrp.py",
line 230, in __init__
        fpga_filename, firmware_filename)
    File
"/usr/local/hamradio/gnuradio/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gnuradio/usrp1.py",
line 940, in  sink_s
        return _usrp1.sink_s(*args)
RuntimeError: can't open usrp1

I'm using the latest svn checked-out source code.

I'm almost convinced that the problem is in the USB2 driver used by gnuradio to
control the USRP (ehci-hcd?).
I have 2 questions:
1. What do you suggest to use to investigate and troubleshoot such USB2 problem
on Fedora 9?
2. What does the second led turning on mean?

t.i.a. for help.
Alberto

Attiva Tiscali Voce 8 Mega: telefoni e navighi senza limiti a soli €15 AL MESE
PER 1 ANNO. Dopo paghi €29,90 al mese. Attiva entro il 15/01/09!
http://abbonati.tiscali.it/promo/voce8mega/