Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: GNU-Radio GUI applications freeze

From: Martin DvH
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: GNU-Radio GUI applications freeze
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:02:42 +0100

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 10:56 +0000, feldmaus wrote:
> Raul Siles <raul.siles <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > Hello,
> > I'm running GNU-Radio 3.1.3 under Fedora 8 (fully updated) with USRP
> > and all the USRP graphical (GUI) applications freeze, such as
> > usrp_oscope.py or usrp_fft.py.
> >
> > The application, eg. usrp_oscope.py, main window is displayed but only
> > the signal diagram is visible and changes. All the controls and
> > buttons are not available. Sporadically the whole window, signal
> > diagram plus controls, is displayed but it is not possible to interact
> > with or adjust any control.
>
> Hi,
>
> i have the same Problems on Suse 11.1 and gnuradio 3.1svn.
>
> I solved it by executing <grc> with:
> $nice -n 19 grc
>
> Regards Markus
The fft and/or scopedisplay is needing more processing power then your
CPU has (your computer is too slow for the settings you are using)
A better solution is to restrict the maximum processing power the scope
and/or fft uses.
You can change the defaults
in /usr/local/etc/gnuradio/conf.d/gr-wxgui.conf

Change:
# fftsink and waterfallsink
fft_rate = 15

# scopesink
frame_decim = 1

into something like:
# fftsink and waterfallsink
fft_rate = 5

# scopesink
frame_decim = 10

Important: don't put any comments after the numbers.

Greetings,
Martin Dudok van Heel
Olifantasia