[Discuss-gnuradio] Bug in mspk_receiver_cc?

From: Stefan Brüns
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Bug in mspk_receiver_cc?
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 18:29:05 +0100

there seems to be a bug in the costas loop. As far as I understand, in case of
nonzero carrier offset, each incoming sample should be rotated with a linear
increasing phasor (assuming a constant offset). This is done with the
following code:

void
gr_mpsk_receiver_cc::mm_sampler(symbol) {
  d_phase += d_freq;
  nco = gr_expj(d_phase+d_theta);
  sample = nco*symbol;
}

This looks fine so far for me (although I dont understand why theta is added
every time, and not once in the initialization of d_phase ...), but there is
also the following:

void
gr_mpsk_receiver_cc::phase_error_tracking(sample) {
  d_phase += d_freq + d_alpha*phase_error;
}

So d_phase gets incremented by d_freq on every incoming sample, and once every
symbol.

Any comments, is this actually a bug?

Stefan

--
Stefan Brüns  /  Bergstraße 21  /  52062 Aachen
mailto:lurch at gmx.li  http://www.kawo1.rwth-aachen.de/~lurchi/