[Discuss-gnuradio] Constant carrier digital transmission

From: William Harding
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Constant carrier digital transmission
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:00:02 -0500

I would like to implement a module which keeps a constant carrier running and transfers packets of data at different times.  In other words, using ASK (or OOK) modulation, I would like to always be transmitting ones (carrier is at full amplitude) except for certain periods where I will "pause" the carrier (carrier amplitude is zero or some smaller amplitude).

How can I do this without supplying an "infinite" number of ones (with zeros inter-weaved where I want them) in my packets?  I would like to be able to have a constant "full carrier amplitude" until I call some method like "send_packet(data)."

Any thoughts/suggestions/examples?  Corrections in my thinking?

Thanks.