Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] location of installed gnuradio programs Q

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] location of installed gnuradio programs Q
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 10:47:16 -0700

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 7:21 AM, davek <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ok, but when people check in programs to the repository, what makes
> them decide if its a /bin program of a /example program? Is there some
> reason behind the choice?

In general, we install very few scripts to the $prefix/bin location.
These are typically utility programs that are most convenient to be
able to run from any directory, such as the usrp_fft.py and
usrp_siggen.py scripts.

GNU Radio example programs are meant as as demonstrations of how to
write simple GNU Radio applications, and are categorized in the
$prefix/share/gnuradio/examples hierarchy.  They sometimes don't keep
up with the latest version of GNU Radio, and must also be run either
with an explicit path or from the current directory.

Johnathan