Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Data Types In GNU Radio

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Data Types In GNU Radio
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 13:34:41 -0400

Fatima Af wrote:
Hi,

I am working on a project on Cognitive radios. I want to achieve
real-time transmission n reception of audio between two USRP boards. The
biggest problems i am facing are in designing the flow graphs because of
data type mis matches. For example i am taking the audio input from
microphone and its Float type but blocks like modulation and
chunks_to_symbols do not accept float type data. I have tried to use the
float_to_char bloack to accomplish the necessary conversion but
unfortunately it didnt work.
Another question is "Are the float_to_char and char_to_float bloacks bot
exactly reciprocal of each other??? (coz after passing through both
these bloacks the original float signal wasnt recovered) Similar is the
case with float_to_short and short_to_float blocks..."

Kindly guide me how i should get rid of this data type issue coz alot of
my time is getting wasted just in resolving it..

Looking forward to your help...

Regards

You probably need to adjust for the difference in dynamic range. Float's give you 32-bits and chars are only 8-bits, so you will likely be clipping a lot. You need to understand the data types to convert from the floating-point representation to a PCM representation that you can then split into chunks for the modulators to handle.

I you want to know if the two blocks are reciprocals or each other, you can always look at the code. Neither of these blocks are very complicated.

Tom