Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Can't stop the top_block which contain transmit_p

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Can't stop the top_block which contain transmit_path with GNU Radio version 11001
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 07:34:09 -0700

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 05:51:30PM -0700, Ling Huang wrote:

> sorry for attaching this again.
> I use UBUNTU 9.04 + gnuradio 11001 and UBUNTU 8.10 +gnuradio 10853 got the
> same problem.
>
> I modify the gnuradio-examples/python/digital codes for some experiences. In
> one case I want to stop the running flow graph(top block), and then to start
> a new connect. I do it well in stop the receive_path connect. But I just
> can't stop the top block contain a transmit_path. If I stop the top block,
> and wait, it hang in the tb.wait.
> I seem not express well. To make it simple let's see:
> class my_topblock(gr.top_block)
>     def __init__(self):
>          self.trans=transmit_path(...)
>          self.connect(self.trans)
>
> tb.start()
> tb.stop()
> tb.wait() # IT HANG IN HERE
> tb.start()
>
> I made a simple test code to test stopping the top block , please test it to
> see what's the problem.

Some block is most likely blocked in a system call.  I'm guessing that
the transmit path is hung in gr.message_source waiting for a message
that's never coming.  To get it to stop, send it a message with
type=1.  The message source will indicate that it is done and the flow
graph will terminate.

Eric