Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Recommended PC Hardware for Performance

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Recommended PC Hardware for Performance
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 18:29:15 -0400

Martin DvH wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 08:26 -0400, Tom Lutz wrote:
>

> gnuradio depends heavily on floating point performance and memory
> bandwidth.
> It makes good use of multiple cores.
>
> So if you can afford it use a quad-core processor with a high memory
> bandwidth.
> ( i7 quad or a quad core AMD phenom II )

I'm currently using a QX9770 overclocked to 3.6GHz, but with somewhat
sluggish (for that processor) memory.
  I'm hoping to get a memory  upgrade soon.

I run *large* FFTs for SETI analysis, and that requires lots of memory,
and increasing certain system parameters
  (SHMMAX).

The "Next Generation" of my standard hardware platform will be a Core i7
920, overclocked as much as reasonable,
 with fast memory (6GB to 12GB).

I'm doing multi radio astronomy and SETI analyses in parallel on data
streams that may be arriving as fast as
  16M samples per second.  More CPU Igor, more CPU!

Can't wait until Intel starts pushing hard on the new bus (QPI??), and
brings out processors with more than 4 CPUs.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator, Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium