Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] May I get 2 receivers on same channel by one USRP

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] May I get 2 receivers on same channel by one USRP2?
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 13:03:11 -0700

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 01:48:22PM -0500, Jason Uher wrote:
> > Please look in gnuradio-examples/python/multi-antenna.  Those examples
> > work with 4 antennas using 2 Basic RX's.  Your case is a subset of
> > what those examples demonstrate.
>
> Don't all of the multi-antenna files require a specific FPGA build
> (ie, unique to the USRP1) to get two real signals from a single
> daughterboard?

Note: I missed the USRP2 part in the subject on my first reply...

On the USRP1, they do if you want the 4 Rx chains.  The standard FPGA
image for the USRP1 contains 2 Rx and 2 Tx chains, so (if he was using
the USRP1 (which he isn't)) he could do two Rx with the standard image.

> Is there such an FPGA build for the USRP2? (I ask
> because the multi-antenna scripts don't seem to represent that)

Right now the standard USRP2 FPGA image contains a single Rx and
single Tx chain.  Once the conversion to VRT is done (and we overhaul
the API so that you can control a wide variety of things such as
multiple Tx and Rx chains), this will be possible on the USRP2.
In the meanwhile, folks are on their own ;-)

Eric