[Discuss-gnuradio] C++ source code location

From: David Knox
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] C++ source code location
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 02:28:29 -0700 (PDT)

I built gnuradio using Synaptic and it seems to be operational.  I can change
python and also change and compile C++ code for some UCLA Zigbee packet
processing code just fine too.  Where should the C++ source code for the
gnuradio routines themselves (e.g. gr blah blah) be located?  Reading a bit,
it seems like the most likely root is /usr/local/ .  For example, if I
wanted to find gr_pwr_squelch.cc (Josh Blum's code), where should I look?  A
quick search in my directories after installation using find/locate didn't
turn up anything.

I can see include files with the '.h' suffix and SWIG files (with the '.i'
suffix).  However, I can't see the source files (which have a '.cc'
suffix?).  Is there a way of seeing and being able to modify C++ source
files using Synaptic (i.e. what module or set of modules or libraries do I
include?) for configuration or is a build 'from scratch' required?

To be honest, I am not really too clear about the difference between
building/installing from source files and the state of being able to
subsequently change and build new gnuradio programs by modifying C++ source
files.  Maybe I am missing some OO methodology (e.g. inheritance from other
classes or ....) for doing this the right way.  However, the 'ready-to-go'
gnuradio environment seems to favour python changes only.  Where are the
compiled C++ object files located in this environment?

For 'building and installing from source files', It seems from the
documentation that the svn repository is the place to go (e.g. svn co
http://gnuradio.org/svn/gnuradio/branches/releases/3.2 gnuradio).  I heard
something about git being used as a repository also, but I can't really find
much documentation about this.

My basic objective is to install gnuradio so that I can modify both C++ and
python source code in a 9.04 Ubuntu environment.  The web page wiki at
http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/UbuntuInstall claims to be 'outdated and in
need of re-organization'.  I would be happy to do this work for the benefit
of others like myself, .... if I knew exactly what I was doing ;-).  Any
help or guidance would be appreciated.

/ David Knox