Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Osx devel

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Osx devel
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 08:27:16 -0500

Hi Cosmin -

On Nov 1, 2009, at 10:44 PM, cosmin Cosmin wrote:
Who actually developp gnuradio for osx PPC and Intel systems?

The effort was multi-person, but I did much of the original programming for USRP/FUSB and gr-audio-osx interfaces under 10.4 PPC in late 2005; the code was integrated with the trunk in spring 2006, and bugs have been fixed multiple times over since then. Others have contributed programming / fixes for updating to Intel-Mac, 10.5, and 10.6, as well as some of the cpu-specific blocks (e.g., FIR) and 'missing' functionality (e.g., posix_memalign). Most of GNU Radio's programming "just works" under OSX without modification: both Linux and OSX provide a POSIX-compliant API, which is generally pretty consistent between them.

What about integrate PyObjc or py2app for gr-video-sdl on osx?

Not sure what you're asking for here.  Maybe Josh knows better?

I can say that LIBSDL's .pc file is broken when installing under (at least) MacPorts (if not OSX in general, and maybe other OSs as well?): the "shared libraries" listing includes some static ones, and the static listing includes include some dynamic ones. You might want to see if anyone has submitted a bug report to the MacPorts folks on this one, or even the LIBSDL folks might have a bug on this issue. It does need to get resolved in order to gr-video-sdl to behave well on OSX -- but if LIBSDL works on OSX, then it's not difficult to hack the Makefile to fix the issue & get something working (that said, I've never tried SDL to see if it really works on OSX; all I know is that it compiles, installs, and can be linked to properly).

I hope this provides some of the info you were looking for. If not, ask more. - MLD