Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Boost 1.40 won't build on OSX 10.6

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Boost 1.40 won't build on OSX 10.6
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:22:27 -0500

On Nov 18, 2009, at 12:06 PM, Eric Blossom wrote:
Michael, can you help me understand what the problems are, and what,
if anything, we can do on the GNU Radio side to resolve them?  It
sounds like some of these problems may have more to do with
external dependencies than with GNU Radio itself.

The guts of GNU Radio definitely run on x86 and x86-64, so I'm not
sure what the "64-bit issue" is on OS/X.  Last I checked, we ran on
64-bit PPC on Fedora too.

"We" made numerous Darwin-specific changes to the GNU Radio GIT master recently to resolve 10.6 and 64-bit compiling issues (mostly debugging printouts, by moving "fprintf(stderr,...)" to "std::cerr << ..."). Hence the GNU Radio -GIT master- should now be compatible with OSX 10.4, 10.5, or 10.6 as 32-bit or 64-bit. I have successfully tested GNU Radio in 32-bit on each of these (Intel only, but that shouldn't make a difference), and in 64-bit on 10.6, using MacPorts for all installable dependencies (NB for 10.6: see the last real paragraph below).

I believe that Ed was asking specifically about the 3.2.2 release. GNU Radio -release 3.2.2- does not have these recent GIT master changes for both 10.6 and 64-bit OSX, but most of 3.2.2 should compile as 32-bit since it was originally (inadvertently) designed to compile as 32-bit -- only gr-audio-osx needs changes to compile under 10.6 because Apple changed the CoreAudio API. To the best of my knowledge, GNU Radio was never compiled as 64-bit under 10.5 (or 10.4,if that's possible) ... hence it's only with the move to 10.6 that these bit- width issues came up -- and were promptly addressed.

Thus, to summarize, assuming we're talking about the GNU Radio GIT master: The issues are not with GNU Radio.

The issues w/r.t. 10.6 &/or 64-bit are instead with the dependencies wxWidgets and wxPython: Up through the 2.8.10 series, the WX* codebase was 32-bit compatible on OSX but would fail when compiled as 64-bit (and, OSX won't allow one to mix & match 32- and 64-bit libraries and applications). Starting with WX* 2.9.0, the codebase will be both 32- bit and 64-bit compatible on OSX 10.5 or 10.6 < http://wxwidgets.org/ >; wxWidgets 2.9.0 has been released, but wxPython has yet to catch up before "we" can test them out with GNU Radio (via MacPorts or otherwise)

I hope this note clarifies your issues; if not, ask more. - MLD