[Discuss-gnuradio] Multiple I2C devices on Rx daughtercards

From: John Orlando
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Multiple I2C devices on Rx daughtercards
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:51:09 -0600

Hi Matt,
In reviewing the schematic of the dbsrx daughtercard, I noticed that there are two i2c devices (the EEPROM and the MAX211x receiver chip).  In general for the daughtercards, address bit A1 determines side A or side B, and A0 determines if the card is an rx or tx card, and this is hard-coded by the USRP itself.  So...if a user has two dbsrx cards in their USRP, I think the EEPROM of the dbsrx on side A would have the same address as the MAX211x on side B, and vice versa.  Wouldn't this be an issue?

Of course, I'm guessing there is a logical explanation as to how this is mitigated, as I found several folks in the archives that mention using two dbsrx cards simultaneously.  Any insight is appreciated.

Also, is there a reason that address bit A2 isn't used to select different i2c devices on the same card?

Thanks much...

--
Regards,
John Orlando