Re: [Fwd: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gain Range error / Tx LO Offset]

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gain Range error / Tx LO Offset]
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 18:11:07 -0800

Because 0.2 amplitude doesn't clip. On a typical 1800, it will start to clip somewhere around 0.5 to 0.6, and a typical 2400 will be much closer to 1.0. But in any case, you want to back off on the power to get the linearity you need. How much linearity you need is very application dependent.

There are users that are doing nonlinear modulations where clipping is ok, like GMSK, and in that case they need to be able to get the full power output (well over 20dBm for most boards). If we scale the analog electronics to give good linearity at digital amplitude of 1.0, then you would not be able to run in saturated mode if you wanted to. So we scaled it so that it is a compromise between the two usage cases.

Another factor is that the amplifiers on each board can vary by +/- 1dB in gain and P1dB, so we need to give you some room for adjustment.

On the WBX we have closed-loop analog transmit power control, so you could always run at .75 for great linearity and then can control your power with the low-speed DAC over a 25-35 dB range.

Matt