Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] permission to access /usr/local

From: Mattias Kjellsson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] permission to access /usr/local
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 11:33:32 +0100

> Hi all,
>

> I use "sudo make install" to setup the gnuradio in ubuntu9.10. The
> problem is that I have to use "sudo" every time to run an
> application(./benchmark_tx.py). Without running as a super user, I
> will receive the error msg like could not load the firmware to FPGA
> through USB, permission denied. I searched previous threads that it
> was recommended to use "chmod g+s" under /usr/local/share to get the
> permission to write this directory. However, I was wondering if there
> is any other way to run applications with USRP without stating as
> "sudo" everytime? Thank you!
I don't know if it's the recommended way, but you should be able to use
the "--prefix"- flag with the configuration- script.
Next time you install, try something like:
bootstrap
configure --prefix=~/gnuradio_install_path
make
make install

This way you will install gnuradio into "~/gnuradio_install_path/" (I
think). Thats the "usual" behavior of configure, but I'd check
"configure --help" before I do anything if I were you.

//Mattias