Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] default DAC setting

From: Yan Nie
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] default DAC setting
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:50:14 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Eric Blossom <address@hidden>
Date: Monday, January 18, 2010 9:09 pm
To: Yan Nie <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 07:03:37AM +0800, Yan Nie wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > What's the default setting, if python doesn't write any
> register in
> > AD9862. For example, in gr-sounder project there isn't any
> > configuration for AD9862 chip.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Regards,
> > Yan
>
> gr-sounder (sounder.py) uses usrp.sink_s to talk to the USRP,
> thus it
> uses the default values that are written by usrp_basic* and
> usrp_standard*
> Look in usrp/host/lib/usrp_{basic,standard}.cc for the details.
>
> Eric

Hi,

Thank you Eric. I looked at the usrp_basic.cc file, and have several questions on it.

1. the default AD9862 reg setting is in the following, is it correct?
master clock for FPGA:  64MHz;
sample_rate  going to D/A: 128MHz / 4 ;
Tx out puts will be static and Tx analog power down;
DAC A Offset is 0;
the output current is not scales ;
No gain adjustment for the DAC output curve;
TxPGA  gain is maximum gain: 0 dB;
DAC input rate 64MHz;
NCO disabled;
coarse modulator disabled '
interpolate 4x;
zero Tx Auto Tansmit/Receive reg;

2. Why the DAC input rate is 64MHz but the sample_rate is 32MHz. If the sample_rate is the Nyquist frequency, the tx data rate should be lower than 16MHz, but here the DAC input rate is 64MHz, why?

3. What's the difference among functions tx_tune(target_freq), set_tx_freq(target_freq), and using fine modulation in DAC?
What's the difference among these three approach for shifting the data in baseband to RF in pass band?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Yan