Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Noise floor and Rx Gain

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Noise floor and Rx Gain
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 11:22:45 -0800

On 01/23/2010 09:48 AM, Yong J. Chang wrote:

All,

I'm trying to set all USRP and RFX2400 parameters comparable with Micaz in
the context of receiver sensitivity. But I've observed a non-linear behavior
of ADC.

By using usrp_fft.py, we can see noise floor level. When I change a rx-gain
in a range of 0~45dB, noise floor level does not change. However, in a range
of 45~90dB, noise floor linearly increases according to rx-gain. Does this
affect receiver sensitivity? My thought is that high-gain of ADC introduces
additional noise figure. Please give me a clue. Thanks in advance.

There is nothing nonlinear about this. This is how all receivers will behave, USRPs, other SDRs, and all radio receivers in general.

The first thing to understand is that noise figure is a function of the gain setting.

The second is the difference between the displayed noise floor and the noise figure. Noise figure is a function of the difference between signals and the displayed noise floor, not the absolute displayed noise floor.

It is more instructive if you put a weak signal in to the receiver when you look at the fft display.

As you increase gain from zero, the displayed noise floor does not rise, but your desired signal does. This indicates that the noise figure is improving by roughly 1 dB for every additional 1 dB of gain.

Then there will be a range of gain settings for which 1 dB of additional gain causes your desired signal to rise by 1 dB, but the displayed noise floor will rise some amount less than 1 dB. In this range you are still improving the noise figure, but by less than 1 dB per 1 dB of gain improvement.

Next there will be a range of gain settings for which a 1 dB increase in gain will result in your signal going up 1 dB but the displayed noise floor will also rise by 1 dB. This indicates that you have already reached the minimum noise figure, and that increasing gain will no longer improve the noise figure.

Finally, if your signal is strong enough, there will eventually be a gain range at the top for which increasing the gain by 1 dB will no longer cause your signal to increase in amplitude by 1 dB. This is known as gain compression, and it indicates that you have too much gain. You will start to see strong intermodulation products here because of the nonlinearity.

Matt