Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to call .py file into another .py file

From: Michael Berman
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to call .py file into another .py file
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 00:23:52 -0800

Yes, there is.  Try the "subprocess.Popen" command in python (http://docs.python.org/library/subprocess.html).  The one thing in this code that you will need to modify slightly is in the calls to set up the pipes, you need to to use "subprocess.PIPE" instead of simply "PIPE".

At this point, you could use the pipe to communicate to the other process both ways.  The easiest way I have found for this is with the "os.read(...)" and "os.write(...)" commands.  One thing about the os.write and os.read commands is that for the first parameter you will need the file descriptor number, not the file descriptor.

To get this, lets say you assign the subprocess to "p"; in order to get the file number in order to talk to the child process, you would type in "p.stdin.fileno()" to write to the process, or "p.stdout.fileno()" to read from the process.  Another simple way to write to a process at startup is to pass it arguments.

Here is some source code that shows how to do this (http://code.google.com/p/softwaredefinedradio/source/browse/trunk/src/FFT/get_fft.py).  On line 40, this shows how to dynamically assign arguments to a child process with the subprocess.Popen command, as well as how to read in the arguments very simply on lines 7, 15, 23, 31 with the use of the argv array (mind you that argv[0] is the process name).  This example also shows how to use the os.write on lines 42 and 43.

Thanks,
Michael B.