[Discuss-gnuradio] Syncronising multiple USRP2 boards

From: MarcW
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Syncronising multiple USRP2 boards
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 06:21:00 -0800 (PST)

I would like to synchronise multiple USRP2 boards together. I know I need a
10Mhz reference clock and a synchronous 1PPS signal but have a few questions
regarding the specifics of this,

1.) The USRP2 FAQ suggests to use a GPS clock but has anybody managed to
successfully use anything else such as a function generator or other common
lab equipment?
2.) Does the reference clock need to be a sine wave or can it be square
etc...?
3.) What function should the PPS signal be?
4.) Do I need to modify the FPGA firmware to enable locking from the
external signal?
4.) Is an active splitter absolutely necessary to use or can i get by with
passive?
5.) Is there a good way to test whether I have correct synchronisation?

Marc.