[Discuss-gnuradio] Spectrum Sensing and Tunneling on USRPv1

From: drcabrejos
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Spectrum Sensing and Tunneling on USRPv1
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:00:04 -0800 (PST)

Hi all!

I'm starting to work on a project and first of all would like to know if
it'd be possible or what recommendations anyone has on it.

Basically what I want to accomplish is the following:

Host A: USRPv1 + RFX2400
Host B: USRPV1 + RFX2400

Both hosts would:

1) Always scan for the wireless spectrum (2.402 - 2.482 GHz).

2) Find the best frequency to transmit based on signal-to-noise ratio.

3) Build a Local Database table with the signal-to-noise ratio on each
frequency as well as the ID of each user.

4) Begin advertising its ID on the best frequency available at the time and
only change that frequency if some signal-to-noise threshold is reached or
if needing to find a peer on another frequency.

5) Begin communication with desired peer through a tunnel interface. (Not
sure if I'd need 1 (one) or 2 (two) RFX2400 on each USRPv1 since spectrum
sensing would be up always. Any ideas?)

6) Share next best frequencies with neighbor.

7) Update the Database Table.

8) Compare Database Tables to find the best common frequency.

9) Tell next peer which frequency to change to (3-way handshake)

10) Back to 6

Does anyone have any ideas if this can work, and some clues of how to?

I have found the following thread which is kind of similar:

Tunnel and sense in the same USRP device
http://old.nabble.com/Tunnel-and-sense-in-the-same-USRP-device-td24729726.html#a24729726

Of course I'd need to establish communication before and scan the spectrum
and that's what the above thread is about. I would need to accomplish that
plus more things.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions is much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!!

David Cabrejos