Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SHF spectrum alanlyser

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SHF spectrum alanlyser
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 07:24:01 -0700

On 04/02/2010 04:42 AM, Andrew Rich wrote:
Hello
I am interested in scanning from 1000 MHz to 1200 MHz
Can the USRP and gnu radio down convert and show me a spectrum ?
Second question. Can the USRP be used to sweep filters ?
Andrew

You can use the USRP as a spectrum analyzer, but you'll need to keep in mind how it is different from a standard spectrum analyzer. First, it does not sweep. It will take snapshots of the spectrum up to 8 MHz wide on the USRP1 (25 MHz on the USRP2). If you need a wider picture than that you will need to step the center frequency. The amplitude is also not calibrated to the degree that an expensive analyzer would be.

Sweeping filters could probably be done, but it is not that common of an application for us.

Matt