Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Combining daughterboard outputs into a single si

From: Douglas Geiger
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Combining daughterboard outputs into a single signal
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 17:34:57 -0400

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Bahn, William L  CTR USAF USAFA
USAFA/DFCS <address@hidden> wrote:
> Is there a simple, cheap way to combine the outputs of two daughterboards
> into a single signal before sending them on to a power amplifier?
>
> I need to generate a slow-hopped frequency hopping system that has nine
> channels spread out over 200MHz of spectrum from 5260MHz to 5460MHz. What I
> would like to do is use one XCVR2450 daughterboard to generate the
> odd-numbered hops and a second one to generate the even-numbered hops. I
> would keep the hop rate slow enough that each board has sufficient time to
> tune to its new center frequency.
>
> So what I need is a way to combine the two outputs (only one will be active)
> into a single signal? Is there a simple, cheap, off-the-shelf way to do this?
>
> On a related note, what kind of output can I expect from the board that is
> being tuned and what steps can I take to keep in as low as possible?
>
> Thanks.

RF Power combiner? I've used RF splitters fairly often, so while I
have no direct experience going the opposite direction, I think there
are plenty of companies that will sell what you need. One reference
covering some basic questions:
http://www.minicircuits.com/pages/pdfs/pwr2-4.pdf
 Good luck,
  Doug