Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RANT ALERT: WTF Is wrong with you people?

From: Jeff Brower
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RANT ALERT: WTF Is wrong with you people?
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 13:04:26 -0500 (CDT)

Marcus-

Your sentiments are understandable.  I know the feeling.  But please allow me
to give an a different perspective.

I've posted for years (since 1999) 1000s of times on DSP, audio, speech, MATLAB
and FPGA groups -- on voluntary basis,
because I want to.  I can't count the number of times I've answered totally
clueless newbie posts, mostly by students
or start-up wannabe's.  I've developed my own methodology to minimize my time
and "qualify" the newb (ask a couple of
quick questions about their problem, see if they respond, see if they're
willing to follow instructions, do some debug
work, etc).

Did I waste my time?  Yes in many cases.  But in other those newbs did good.
They were persistent, followed advice,
started getting results... sometimes I eventually got to see the "It Works!"
post with thanks to all the group members
who helped them -- which never fails to remind me of my own excitement so many
years ago when I studied engineering in
school and got my first design job.  You can tell who will become the real
engineers, the ones who enjoy the process,
who are willing to fight the bug in hand-to-hand combat, the ones who reply at
2:00 a.m. because they're still in the
lab duking it out... I like to believe that through a group / collaborative
effort, they came in as newbs and then
gained confidence and maybe even some validation of their career choice.

Yes I know such positive results are a minority of the posts you're thinking
about.  And yes it takes patience and can
be exasperating, but isn't that generally true of raising kids?  They have to
learn the hard way, and someone has to
help them, before they can join the community and make their own contributions.
 For me overall, the good has
outweighed the bad and I don't think my time has been wasted.

-Jeff