[Discuss-gnuradio] UHD Announcement - July 6th 2010

From: Josh Blum
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD Announcement - July 6th 2010
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 18:45:06 -0700

Hello all,

MIMO capabilities have just been added to the UHD. With N gigE ports and N USRP2s, one can perform synchronous aligned receives.

A usrp_mimo class has been added to the UHD for construction of a mimo enabled device configuration. And I have added the corresponding gnuradio blocks: uhd_mimo_source and uhd_mimo_sink that call into this interface. http://www.ettus.com/uhd_docs/doxygen/html/classuhd_1_1usrp_1_1mimo__usrp.html

See the usrp2 application notes on device parameters for the configuration: http://www.ettus.com/uhd_docs/manual/html/usrp2.html#addressing-the-device

I should note that the aligned send for the mimo sink gnuradio block is not yet fully working, but may be used to test out the interface.

To use the new blocks you will need the most recent UHD master, gnuradio/jblum.git uhd branch, and SD card images. See links below:

I have just pushed new host code to the uhd repo, posted new images, and pushed new uhd gnuradio blocks. The gnuradio blocks will be hosted on my jblum.git uhd branch until they are merged into the gnuradio.git next branch.

http://ettus-apps.sourcerepo.com/redmine/ettus/projects/uhd/wiki

http://code.ettus.com/redmine/ettus/projects/public/wiki/U2binaries#UHD-Firmware-and-FPGA-Images

http://gnuradio.org/cgit/jblum.git/log/?h=uhd

For those of you calling directly into the UHD c++ API and not through gnuradio. I have changed the send and recv calls to reflect the mimo work. The asio buffer was replaced with two parameters: a vector of void-star pointers and a length in number of samples per buffer, for both send and recv. A convenience wrapper was added to pass in a single pointer and number of samples for the non-mimo case. The original interface with asio buffers is still there, just deprecated.

Feedback is always welcome!

Thank you,
-Josh