[Discuss-gnuradio] How do the Scheduler and the flowgraph work?

From: Sammour
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] How do the Scheduler and the flowgraph work?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 03:02:38 -0700 (PDT)

I have a basic question regarding GNURadio scheduler and how the flowgraph
works. I am using gr_sync_block but my question are valid for gr_block

>From the online tutorial about how to write a block I read:

 87    for (int i = 0; i < noutput_items; i++){
 88      out[i] = in[i] * in[i];
 89    }

I could print noutput_items and it is a huge number in order of thousands.
So my question is why should I create this loop? and how does it work? I
have read somewhere in this discution board that not using this loop will
increase the calclation overhead but no clue why. Does my block outputs the
items "bunch by bunch" or item by item.

Another question here: I saw few programs which dont return noutput_items
from work or general_work so it seems that I dont have to always return it.
How can I determine the value I shoud return.

Cheers,

Sam