Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP and XCVR2450 Noise Figure

From: Jeffrey Lambert
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP and XCVR2450 Noise Figure
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:51:26 -0400

Hello,

The noise figure will in large part depend upon the receiver front-end that is attached the USRP or in the daughter board that is used. In that case that you would like to know the noise figure of the USRP without any RF front-end then the results may vary whether you are using a BasicRX board or one of the LFRX boards. For a 50 Ohm system, either of these should yield accurate results. Mainly, the noise figure of the USRP will be derived from the AD9862 digitizer. Since this IC contains an amplifier, the noise figure will vary with the gain of the PGA.

I too am interested in measuring the noise figure of the USRP. If you are unable to find anything, I will be able to supply measurement data within the next few weeks for a USRP device and BasicRX daughterboard.

~Jeffrey Lambert