Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio land speed record?

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio land speed record?
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 13:55:10 -0400

On 07/30/2010 01:01 PM, Matt Ettus wrote:

> With RAID arrays or SSDs, it isn't that hard anymore to sustain 100
> MB/s recording to disk.  With 4 and 6 core systems and the i7
> architecture you can get more than 5X the performance of your laptop.
>
> There are a lot of applications using the full 25 MHz of RF bandwidth.
> You just need to pay a lot of attention to efficiency of your program
> and algorithms.
>
> Matt

For reference, an early version of my IRA radio astronomy receiver was
able to do single-channel
  at 16MHz bandwidth, using a Core 2 Extreme 9770 and 8GB of memory and
a USRP1.

The IRA code does a number of things

     o compute total power over the entire bandwidth
     o compute an FFT with 1Hz resolution (that's a 16 million point FFT)
     o do a SETI analysis of the resulting FFT
     o do a transient signal analysis of the total power data
     o run a narrowband interference filter based on an FFT filter
     o run a GUI with lots of bells 'n whistles

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium