Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 and DBSRX compatibility (?)

From: Moeller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 and DBSRX compatibility (?)
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 14:05:18 +0200

On 03.08.2010 23:39, Marc Epard wrote:
>> did anybody manage to get this combination working together?
> Yes, after updating the EEPROM (using the USRP2 firmware) and moving the
> resister, this combination is working fine for us.
>
> OS:  Ubuntu 10.04
> GNU Radio:  3.0.3
> FPGA:  u2_rev3-20100603.bin
> Firmware:  txrx_raw_eth_20100608.bin
> DBSRX EEPROM: burn_dbsrx_eeprom.bin dated July 14, 2010
>
> -Marc

Thanks for the motivation to try it again.
So I recompiled all with the current gnuradio git sources
(the 3.0.3 is not compatible with current gcc 4.5.0 compilers)
and did the burning again (with the same current fpga& burning firmware).
And ... wow, this time I get a result and the DBSRX is working.
I don't know what was the reason for the previous failure.
The dboard-id changed from 2 to 13 (I don't know what's normal)
and now I receive all signals. Maybe the burning time was not long enough?

Btw, the instructions are a bit incomplete. How long does it need for
programming?
Are there any indicators for success/completion?
My LED went all on, except E. But no change. It should be possible
to use an LED to indicate when the programming is finished.
And what dboard ID do I have to expect before and after burning?
So many unanswered questions. Is it so difficult to write a short
and complete documentation about this issue?
We didn't receive the board for free, but paid real money for this.

And you should realize that the comments on this discuss-gnuradio-list
concerning the DBSRX are incorrect.
They say, the programming has to be done on an old USRP 1 and that
it does not work on an USRP 2. This is not correct. Maybe it was
for an old revision of the burning software.

Of course, the marketing brochure should be updated, too.
It took quite some time for me to realize, that the hardware was
not compatible without modification (because the other boards
were working fine). This is really frustrating for a gnuradio-beginner.
And it's not easy to do this soldering work on a microscopic resistor.
You always have to fear to damage the board or that the microscopic
SMD resistor element is flying away (in fact it did, but I found it again ...).
I don't understand, why this board is not sold in a compatible variant.

Btw, the current git sources of gnuradio are defective too
with the current gcc 4.5.0 compiler. I had to change the sources.
I will provide a patch for that later.

Moeller