Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Can one USRP be connected with multiple GNU Radi

From: Jason Uher
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Can one USRP be connected with multiple GNU Radio?
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 09:46:30 -0500

> Can one USRP connected with multiple PCs, each of PC runs a GNU Radio, so as
> to formulate a distributed system?

This is doubtful with a USRP1, due to the fact that USB is a
host/client protocol.  It is /maybe/ possible with the USRP2's network
interface, but writing the code for sample synchronization would be a
nightmare, unless you are OK with randomly sending any old sample as
it comes in.  Even then it would be a lot of work to get the same
result as distributing the work over multiple PCs and sending them to
one host PC that talks to the USRP (which is also very hard to do!).

In short, you would be better off to just buy a PC that's fast enough
to do what you want to do.

> And on the other side, can one PC running GNU Radio be connected with
> multiple USRP?

Yes, I know that several USRP1 can be connected to one PC.  The
constructor for the USRP object has a parameter called 'which'.  This
lets you select which usrp you are putting into which instance.  I
assume this works for a USRP2 as well, but have no experience there.

Jason