Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ADC calibration

From: Daniel Halperin
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ADC calibration
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:55:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010, Matt Ettus wrote:

On 08/13/2010 12:14 PM, Daniel Halperin wrote:
 On Tue, 10 Aug 2010, Matt Ettus wrote:

>  When using a BasicRX or LFRX with the PGA set at 0dB gain (USRP1
>  only), +10dBm is full scale on the ADC. On the USRP2 full scale on the
>  ADC is full scale when it gets back into gnu radio. On the USRP1 full
>  scale on the ADC is (1.67/2) times full scale due to the gain of the
>  CORDIC.
> > +10dBm = 2Vpp = 1 Vpeak = 0.7 Vrms > > With other daughterboards you will need to calibrate at the frequency
>  of interest.

 Thanks, that's helpful. However, I can't quite make the math work:

 P = V^2/R ; 0.01 W = 1^2 / R ; R = 100 Ohms.

RMS power = Vpeak^2 / (2*R)
RMS power = Vrms^2 / R

... so as long as I don't send a pure DC signal (which presumably I can't b/c there will be filters so the device doesn't support it anyway) I should be using RMS power to account for the carrier wave variation?

Makes sense.

Thanks,
Dan