[Discuss-gnuradio] Porting Gnuradio-Applications to UHD. The right momen

From: Moeller
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Porting Gnuradio-Applications to UHD. The right moment to switch to the new USRP Firmware
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 00:08:46 +0200

 I wonder if it is time now for switching to the new UHD Firmware.
It is declared as "alpha", but it seems that for new code now, the UHD
should be the preferred API.
The problem is, what to do with the old applications? They are all made
for the old API model. So, switching to UHD on the USRP side make them
all unusable, right?  Or, will there still be support for the old API with
bridging functions?
I don't want to change the SD cards all the time when starting another program.

If we have to change the apps: what about a "translation table" how to
change function calls and data types. The same would be interesting for
an USRP1 to USRP2 migration (I thought of modifying the wide spectrum analyzer
USRP1 code for using it on USRP2). Of course, only for host code, not for
apps that use a modified firmware. I understand that Altera and Xilinx
need a different programming at Verilog/VHDL level.