Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC+USRPx file sink problem

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC+USRPx file sink problem
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 13:06:39 -0400

> Thanks, so it is.
>
> Unfortunately though, I have discovered that the gain for an RFX card cannot
> be
> adjusted (min=0, max=0, step=0), requiring a massive multiply value in
> gnuradio-companion, so its all very distorted. :-(
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

It should *not* be distorted just because of a multiply in the signal
path, unless that multiplied value is
  getting clipped when converting to an ISHORT--but that will only be
"distorted" downstream from that
  conversion.

Most of the functions that operate on floats in Gnu Radio are perfectly
happy with pretty much the entire
  machine-native range of floats.  But certainly when you convert from a
floating-point value to an integer
  value like a short, you have to be aware of conversion losses that can
screw you up, so scale appropriately.

Cheers

--
Marcus Leech