[Discuss-gnuradio] UHD Announcement - August 31st 2010 - USRP1 support

From: Josh Blum
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD Announcement - August 31st 2010 - USRP1 support
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 19:01:50 -0700

Hello list,

USRP1 support is now part of the UHD. Fetch the latest host code and images: http://ettus-apps.sourcerepo.com/redmine/ettus/projects/uhd/wiki

Firmware and FPGA images:

You can get the most recent pre-compiled images here: http://www.ettus.com/downloads/uhd_images/

And the application notes for installing and or building them: http://www.ettus.com/uhd_docs/manual/html/images.html

Completeness of the USRP1 support:

Using either daughterboard slot is supported, however only single channel operation is possible for now. We are 90% of the way to multi-channel operation, we probably need a new top level wrapper for it.

8bit sample support is not in there yet. This will eventually manifest into an API call to set the over-the-wire data type.

I believe that everything else is in there...

Dont forget to take a look at the USRP1 application notes:
http://www.ettus.com/uhd_docs/manual/html/usrp1.html

USB Support:

The USB support in UHD relies on libusb 1.0 which has only been tested and confirmed working on linux for now. If libusb is not found at configure time, USRP1 support will not be built. Linux users will need to install the libusb-1.0-dev package.

See the build guide:
http://www.ettus.com/uhd_docs/manual/html/build.html#libusb

Special thanks to Tom Tsou for the USB framework for UHD and the USRP1 support!

USRP1 timestamp support:

The current USRP1 FPGA + host code has no concept of timestamps. In other words, the UHD rx and tx metadata is completely ignored.

For those that want to hack on USRP1 to add timestamps capability, I recommend cloning the uhd on a github to collaborate. All of the FPGA and firmware code is also in the uhd repository.

Feedback and testing is always welcome.

-Josh